Like a credit or debit card linked to your balance
New Virtual Card Requests are currently suspended.
Virtual Cards can be issued to OCF’s hosted Collectives for paying online for things like: recurring payments, online resources/tools, subscriptions, vendors (e.g. wholesale distributors), etc.
- Submit a virtual card request (either on OCF's page, or on your own, under "actions")
- Please submit requests in the format below, with intended use + card spending limit (monthly, annually, or total)
- Barring further questions, the virtual card with that limit will be set up for your collective.
- If, at any point, you need to make changes to your card use or limit, please contact us at [email protected] Include:
- The name of your collective and the last 4 digits of the card
- The intended use and the amount increase needed.
- Collectives must have a minimum of 2 admin members
- Collective must have a budget on their Open Collective account that exceeds the corresponding card amount.
- Receipts must be submitted within 30 days. If a receipt is not submitted within 30 days, the card access will be paused until you do submit the receipt.
- The card's Assignee is responsible for collecting and uploading the receipts.
- All transactions should comply with normal usage of Collective funds as outlined in our Terms of Fiscal Sponsorship and in compliance with our501(c)(3) status.
- Virtual cards may not be used for paying/reimbursing people or contractors - that should be done on the OC platform.
- Virtual cards may not be used for paying LLCs or sole proprietorship businesses more than $599 in a calendar year. For $600 or more in a calendar year, the business must invoice
- Virtual cards may not be used for purchasing gift cards. This type of activity would fall under our Cash Assistance Policy.
- Virtual cards are intended to be used only by Collective Admins/Team Members. This means that program recipients may not use a virtual card to purchase groceries for themselves.
- Virtual cards may not be used to pay rent on behalf of Collectives or program recipients without prior approval from OCF staff, to ensure that all contracts are properly in place.
- 1.Collective admins request the card from OCF
e.g.:Zoom Monthly Subscription $50/monthUhaul Storage Unit $500/monthAmazon cleaning supplies $80/monthTarget Household Supplies $20/monthTotal: $650/month
- 1.Visit your Collective's page
- 2.Click Actions -> Request a Card
- 3.Please include vendor details and pricing details in your request (estimates are ok).
2. OCF will assign the virtual card (please allow time for processing)
3. Once assigned, the card assignee will be notified via email. The card's details will appear in the Collective's Settings for admins to use.
- 1.The funds will be withdrawn from your Collective balance
- 2.An "Invitation to submit an expense" will be sent to your Collective admins
- 1.Admins will be asked to submit your receipt. (If the receipt is not submitted within 30 days, the card access will be paused until you do submit the receipt).
Looking for the email that asks for the receipt upload? The 'Subject' in your email inbox will be "Action Required: Submit receipt for card expense".
These are virtual cards. No physical card will be issued, so these cannot be used in-store.
Monthly virtual card limits will be reset on the 1st of each month
Funds are spent only as transactions occur. - Setting up a card does not remove any money from your Collective's budget.
- Name: Open Collective Foundation
- Address: 440 N Barranca Ave #3717, Covina, CA 91723
- Sometimes, if you are having physical items mailed, they will expect the zip codes to match. In these cases, you can use your own address/zip code.
Please reach out to us [email protected] as soon as you notice the false charge(s). Please provide any context and screenshots to help us make your claim.
Timing will be 30-90 days.