How we're different
- Begin charitable/community work without setting up a legal entity or bank account
Traditional fiscal sponsors’ processes are often slow, manual, and opaque, whereas Open Collective is efficient, automatic, and transparent.
Our platform has great features that you won’t find in most accounting software, like integrated payments for expenses via PayPal or bank transfer. Your hosted Collective will be able to process large numbers of transactions, big or small, without the accounting headaches. You’ll no longer have to step into the complexity of a full fledged accounting tool in order to do basic budget tracking and good money management.
It also differs from crowdfunding platforms, particularly in how it is designed to be a home for ongoing collaborative communities, not individual creators or one-off campaigns. Unlike crowdfunding platforms, our service allows you to:
- Access funds as they arrive, rather than in a lump sum at the end of the campaign
- Spend funds for your Collective directly from the platform, rather than having the funds go through your personal bank account
- Receive recurring monthly contributions
- Accept tax-deductible contributions (this is a big incentive for donors)
- View your Collective’s budget in full transparency
Unlike campaign-based crowdfunding platforms like GoFundMe or Patreon, Open Collective can be a long-term home for your operations. We’re always working on new features to help you build community and accomplish your mission.