Liability Insurance
Through our insurance provider, Nonprofits Insurance Alliance, Open Collective Foundation can offer our Collectives access to liability insurance and other types of coverage.
To sign up, fill out this form.
Please note: this page does not include information about health insurance, only general liability and related coverage.

Why get insurance through OCF?

  • Because it's set up as an addendum to our main policies, Collectives can get covered in a simple and cost-effective way.
  • As unincorporated groups, Collectives are usually unable to get insurance policies on their own.
  • Getting liability insurance helps ensure that the individuals leading Collectives won't be held personally liable if something goes wrong.
  • Sometimes funders, grants, landlords, venues, sponsors, etc, require insurance in the contracts they seek to sign with Collectives.

What kinds of insurance are available?

  • General Liability
  • EPLI (for employment situations)
  • Improper Sexual Conduct and Physical Abuse Liability
  • Social Service Professional Liability
  • Employee Benefits Liability
  • Business Auto Liability
  • Non-Owned/Hired Auto Liability
  • Umbrella Liability
  • Auto Physical Damage
  • Businessowners Property
  • Inland Marine
  • Employee/Volunteer Dishonesty
See more details about types of insurance.
See this document for an overview of OCF's core policy coverage:
Summary of Insurance OCF.pdf

Is signing up for insurance required?

Usually getting insurance for your Collective is optional.
There are certain enhanced risk factors where OCF may require extra insurance, such as if the Collective:
  • Has employees (not independent contractors).
  • Wants to sign a lease for a physical premises.
  • Specifically works with vulnerable people like children, disabled individuals, or the elderly.
  • Offers formal counseling, education, tutoring, and other professional services.
  • Wants to hold special (offline) events involving large numbers of people (e.g. a conference or fun run) or handle dangerous materials (e.g. hazardous waste cleanup, industrial tools).
  • Driving vehicles to carry out Collective activities (beyond casual transport, such as moving trucks).

How much does it cost?

For standard liability coverage, it's $600 per year (sometimes slightly less). If specialist coverage is required or the project is very large (like 1000+ volunteers involved), it may be more.
If $600 per year is acceptable, go ahead and fill out the form and we'll get your coverage in place as soon as possible.
For special situations outside the norm, contact us about getting a quote, but please be aware that the quote process can be very slow (up to 2 months), so we recommend not waiting for a quote where possible.

How do I sign up?

If you are interested in getting liability insurance for your Collective, please fill out this form. We will get in touch with more details.